Not long after I joined Barclay (way back in the day, aka 2008) we got the chance to go to Japan on tour. It was my first time being there and I remember being SO excited and took about a billion pictures of everything I could get my camera focused on. And as different as it was from anything I'd seen by that point, the people that I got the chance to meet and interact with were some of the nicest, most polite and thoughtful people I've ever encountered in my life. And it's been like that every time I've been back there, even though I speak no Japanese and the people I meet don't speak much English. They're so friendly and so sweet, that I could sit here and talk about HOW MUCH SO all night probably.
I was in Japan not too awfully long before the earthquake and tsunami and we had such a great time, especially since it was most of the band's first time there. It was awesome to see their first time through their eyes and watch their reactions to everything. When I woke up to the news of the earthquake and tsunami back here in the States, I had this moment of insane panic just thinking "holy shit I was just THERE" and all the people we'd met and gotten to know in the short time we were there. I don't even know what I would do in an earthquake, because it's something I don't think I've ever experienced. Or at least not that I can remember. I don't know how people survived and have kept surviving in the days since. It amazes me the devastation that's occurred already, it's something that I personally can't even begin to fathom. I'm so sad for what that country has gone through and will go through for probably a long while. But I hope that the people who have been affected by everything going on can feel the thoughts (and prayers) that everyone from around the world is sending them. If you're like me and have wondered if there's anything you can do to help, there is plenty you can do! I'm of the mind that every little bit helps, no matter how small.
If you're like me and have wondered if there is anything you can do to help, there is plenty! I'm of the mind that every little bit helps, no matter how small or insignificant you might think it is. There are a lot of places out there you can donate to and here are just a couple:
Canadian Red Cross: Call toll-free 1-800-418-1111
Salvation Army (Canada): Text 'QUAKE' to 45678, SalvationArmy.ca/japan or calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY
American Red Cross: text 90999 to donate $10 or donate here
Salvation Army (US): Text 'JAPAN' or 'QUAKE' to 80888 to make a $10 donation or donate here
Music for Relief: Text 'MFR' to 85944 to make a $10 donation or donate here
Keep thinking good thoughts.
<3